Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Learn more about modified operations at OZ
- Will the Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment be holding hearings and meetings?
- No, all ZC and BZA hearings and meetings have been suspended until further notice.
- Will the Office of Zoning be open?
- The Office of Zoning will remain open during the modified operations due to the coronavirus pandemic, however, we have made changes to how service is provided. Beginning March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020, all staff will be working remotely. OZ continues to answer phones, respond to emails, process applications, maintain case records, and review and issue zoning orders.
- What are the office hours?
- The Office of Zoning will continue to operate during our normal business hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm.
- Will the Office of Zoning still accept new applications?
- OZ will continue to accept the submission of ZC and BZA applications online through the Interactive Zoning Information System (IZIS).
- Will the Office of Zoning accept new filings in active case records?
- Do applications still need to be served on the Office of Planning (OP) and the Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC)?
- Yes, please continue to serve copies on the ANC. However, OP has stated that during this emergency, they will check the case record frequently and rely on what is in the exhibit log.
- How do I submit my hard copies and application fee?
- As the office at 441 4th Street NW will not be open, you will not be able to submit hard copies. However, you will be able to pay the application fee online. Once the office reopens, you will be able to submit the hard copies and application fees by check.
- Who should be contacted when experiencing difficulties with the Interactive Zoning Information System (IZIS)?
- When will hearing dates for new cases be scheduled?
- All accepted application will be placed in a queue to be scheduled upon resumption of normal office operations.
- When will cases that have already been scheduled for Public Hearing/Meeting in March and April be heard?
- As of March 16, 2020, all ZC and BZA hearings and meetings are suspended until further notice. Once hearings and meetings resume, for the BZA the cases that were scheduled for March 18th will be heard first. Each hearing day will follow as previously scheduled on subsequent Wednesdays. For the ZC, the cases will be rescheduled to the next available dates. OZ staff will be providing updates on rescheduled hearing dates to affected applicants. Please check the website for schedule updates.
- How does one request postponement of a case for a later public hearing/meeting date?
- If you are a party, you can request postponement by filing a motion through IZIS that details the reason for postponement and a rough estimate of the amount of time you need. The motion must be served on the other parties. The Chairs of the ZC and BZA may act on these motions even when the ZC and BZA are unable to convene.
- Should cases that are already scheduled post the public hearing/meeting signs?
- Because all public hearing/meetings have been suspended and hearing/meeting dates will most likely change, properties that were not previously posted will receive posters when normal business operations resume. Properties that have already posted should remain posted. Once new dates are issued, the posters should be updated.
- Will orders be issued for cases that have already been adjudicated?
- Yes, ZC and BZA orders for cases with final decisions will continue to be issued during this time.
For all additional questions or concerns please contact the Office of Zoning at (202) 727-6311 or at [email protected].