Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


DC Office of Zoning

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Request Certification of Zoning Online

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Image with the text Request Certification of Zoning Online

The Office of Zoning (OZ) is pleased to announce that requests for Certification of Zoning can now be filed online using the Interactive Zoning Information System (IZIS). This new option allows applicants to file and receive their certification online.

What is a Certification of Zoning?

Developers, architects, lawyers, realtors, tax assessors, land owners, and others in the land use business often require definitive authentication of zoning classification of property for due diligence purposes. A Certification of Zoning is used as a means of gaining official written recognition of zoning from the DC Government.

A Certification of Zoning can be obtained by submitting a request through IZIS.  The response will be  provided within 10 business days. Per OZ procedure, the request must include the name and address of the person making the request, the square and lot numbers of the property, and the address of the property. This process involves a $50 fee and must be accompanied by a PDF copy of a plat (no larger than 11" x 17") of the property, prepared by the DC Surveyor or an engineer licensed in the District of Columbia.

What is a Zoning Compliance Letter?

A Zoning Compliance Letter falls under the purview of the Office of the Zoning Administrator (OZA) at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) and responds to questions about zone district, zoning violations, certificates of occupancy, uses, etc. Please use the following link to request a Zoning Compliance Letter from DCRA:

For more information regarding your request, please contact DCRA at (202) 442.4400 or e-mail DCRA's customer service team at [email protected] for further assistance.

What is a Zoning Certification?

A Zoning Certification is issued by the Office of the Zoning Administrator (OZA) at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) to certify the zone district and that the use of a specified property is in compliance with the DC Zoning Regulations. These certifications are usually required in the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) process. For more information, please contact DCRA at [email protected] or call the OZA at (202) 442-4576.