Instructions for Form 107 - Application for Design Review
At least forty-five (45) days prior to filing a map amendment application, the applicant must serve a written notice of intent (NOI) to file the application on the affected ANC and on the owners of all property within two hundred feet (200 ft.) of the perimeter of the property in question.
In a design review case, the applicant must make all reasonable efforts to attend a duly noticed meeting of the affected ANC during the forty-five (45) day notice period.
Each application for approval of design review must meet the below requirements before it will be accepted by the Office of Zoning for processing:
- All applications shall be made pursuant to this form. If additional space is necessary, use separate sheets of 8½" x 11" paper to complete the form (drawings and plans may be no larger than 11" x 17").
- Form 107 must be filed electronically using the Interactive Zoning Information System (IZIS).
- At the time of filing this application, the Applicant shall complete and submit a Form 117 – Zoning Commission Design Review Fee Calculator - and pay a filing fee in accordance with the Subtitle Z, Chapter 16. (Check or money order is payable to the “DC Treasurer” or credit/debit card payments are acceptable.)
- Below is a list of all the documents that must be submitted in PDF format at the time you file your application. Please have these documents ready for uploading before you start your application.
- A completed application form;
- A certified surveyor’s plat of the subject property prepared by the Office of the Surveyor;
- A map showing the location of the properties including, the existing zoning, the zoning of adjacent properties, and all proposed changes of zoning;
- A statement of the purposes and objectives of the project, including the proposed form of development and a detailed statement describing how the application meets the design review evaluation standards in Subtitle X § 604;
- A statement certifying to whom and in what manner the required NOI was given. The applicant shall also indicate what meetings or discussions were held with the Office of Planning, the affected ANC, and other individuals and community groups concerning the proposed development, as well as any changes that resulted from these meetings or discussions;
- A detailed statement as to the uses to be located in the project, including the location, number, size, and types of stores, offices, residential, institutional, industrial, and other uses;
- A detailed site plan, showing the location and external dimensions of all buildings and structures, utilities and other easements, walkways, driveways, plazas, arcades, and any other open spaces;
- A detailed landscaping and grading plan, showing all landscaping to be retained, including trees of eighteen inch (18 in.) circumference or greater, proposed planting, and landscaping;
- Typical floor plans and architectural elevations for each building, sections for each building and the project as a whole, and sections and elevations of the entire square within which the project is located;
- A circulation plan, including the location of all vehicular and pedestrian access ways and the location and number of all off-street parking spaces and loading berths, including an indication of which spaces are designated for which use;
- A tabulation of development data showing the following:
- The gross floor area and floor area ratio for each building on each lot, including a break-down for each use, and the total gross floor area and floor area ratio for all buildings on the entire site, including a breakdown for each use;
- The percentage of lot occupancy of each building on each lot and the total percentage of lot occupancy for all buildings on the entire site; and
- The area and dimensions of each lot proposed for each building and the exact area of the total site;
- A table listing by-right development standards and identifying all areas of relief requested and the degree of such relief;
- The names and mailing addresses of the owners of all property within 200 feet, in all directions from all boundaries of the property involved in the application, and two (2) sets of self-stick labels of the names and mailing addresses of the owners of the properties. (Note: This information is most readily available from the D.C. Department of Tax and Revenue, Tax Assessors, 1101 4th Street, S.W. – West Building, Washington, D.C. 20024.); and
- An application for design review in the USN zone shall also include the requirements listed in Subtitle K §§ 320, 322, and/or 324.
Please note, after you submit this electronic filing, you will be required to submit two paper copies of the application with supporting documents, unless you are including plans, in which case eight copies are required. Also, at the time of filing you will be required to serve a copy of your application on the Office of Planning and the affected Advisory Neighborhood Commission
The application will not be accepted for processing unless accompanied by a certificate of service demonstrating that a copy of the application and all accompanying documents have been served upon:
- The Office of Planning; and
- The affected ANC.
Note: All applications are referred for review and recommendation to the Office of Planning (OP) and the Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) within which the affected property is located. Their reports are given “great weight” in the Zoning Commission decision-making process. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact these agencies to discuss the merits of their application/petition. OP can be reached at (202) 442-7600. ANC information can be ascertained by contacting the Office of Advisory Neighborhood Commissions at (202) 727-9945.
If You See Something, Say Something Report Fraud, Waste, Abuse, and Mismanagement in the Government of the District of Columbia to the Office of the Inspector General
717 14th Street, N.W., Suite 500 | Washington, D.C. 20005
CALLS ARE CONFIDENTIAL Toll Free Hotline
1-800-521-1639 | 202-724-TIPS (8477) | Email: [email protected] | Web Page: oig.dc.gov